Module 7
In Module 7, we took a closer look at assessment and professional productivity. We also delved into one of my absolute favorite technology tools: Google Drive. We also worked with other Google tools as well and completed assignments using Google Slides, Google Forms, and Google Calendar.
For someone who does not (and cannot) facilitate the use of much technology for my students, assessment, professional productivity and organization are the areas in which I utilize technology the most. Because I teach in several different classrooms, it is really important to me to stay organized with my plans, lists, and documents. I write all of my lesson plans in Google Docs and have them organized by grade and year within my school folder. I also keep running lists of all the repertoire I use with my students using a Google Sheet. This way, I can update the sheet every time I introduce a new song to my class. Because I move classrooms, the cloud-based storage allows me to access my files wherever I go.
We also looked at assessments in this module, both in a very basic sense and through the lens of technology. Dr. Bauer (2014) lays out the importance of assessment at the beginning of Chapter 6 of his book. He says:
"Not only is assessment necessary to determine whether students have learned what teachers think they have taught, but it also informs the design of instruction and can direct adjustments of the specific teaching and learning strategies that are used over time" (Bauer, 2014, p. 131).
I have been paying close attention to the way I assess my students after discussing and designing assessments in our last course in Instructional Design. I am trying to make sure that all of my assessments (both formal and informal) align with learning outcomes and are both reliable and consistent.
Technology, Bauer says, "...may be used to (a) develop traditional assessment instruments, (b) provide ways to adapt these traditional instruments in new ways, and (c) enable new approaches to assessment of student learning" (Bauer, 2014, p. 134). This week we experimented with one option for technology in assessment. We used Google Forms and an add-on called Flubaroo to create and administer assessments and collect assessment data. Though I do not think I will utilize Google Forms very much for assessment purposes with my children, I did appreciate how user-friendly and intuitive the Google Forms process was. It would be extremely easy to send out parent surveys this way and organize the answers I receive in return. I would absolutely use Forms for any future research and data collection I may want to do.
Resources:
Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music Learning Today: Digital Pedagogy for Creating, Performing, and Responding to Music. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
For someone who does not (and cannot) facilitate the use of much technology for my students, assessment, professional productivity and organization are the areas in which I utilize technology the most. Because I teach in several different classrooms, it is really important to me to stay organized with my plans, lists, and documents. I write all of my lesson plans in Google Docs and have them organized by grade and year within my school folder. I also keep running lists of all the repertoire I use with my students using a Google Sheet. This way, I can update the sheet every time I introduce a new song to my class. Because I move classrooms, the cloud-based storage allows me to access my files wherever I go.
We also looked at assessments in this module, both in a very basic sense and through the lens of technology. Dr. Bauer (2014) lays out the importance of assessment at the beginning of Chapter 6 of his book. He says:
"Not only is assessment necessary to determine whether students have learned what teachers think they have taught, but it also informs the design of instruction and can direct adjustments of the specific teaching and learning strategies that are used over time" (Bauer, 2014, p. 131).
I have been paying close attention to the way I assess my students after discussing and designing assessments in our last course in Instructional Design. I am trying to make sure that all of my assessments (both formal and informal) align with learning outcomes and are both reliable and consistent.
Technology, Bauer says, "...may be used to (a) develop traditional assessment instruments, (b) provide ways to adapt these traditional instruments in new ways, and (c) enable new approaches to assessment of student learning" (Bauer, 2014, p. 134). This week we experimented with one option for technology in assessment. We used Google Forms and an add-on called Flubaroo to create and administer assessments and collect assessment data. Though I do not think I will utilize Google Forms very much for assessment purposes with my children, I did appreciate how user-friendly and intuitive the Google Forms process was. It would be extremely easy to send out parent surveys this way and organize the answers I receive in return. I would absolutely use Forms for any future research and data collection I may want to do.
Resources:
Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music Learning Today: Digital Pedagogy for Creating, Performing, and Responding to Music. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Comments
Post a Comment