Module 4

This week, we looked at the idea of technology as a tool for musical performance. We also worked with a program called Audacity, a digital audio recorder and editor that can be used to record, mix, and master audio. I found it very interesting that Audacity is an open source software and that it is completely free for use online.

In order to become familiar with the program, we were asked to make a remix of the well-known "Mah Na Mah Na" song from the Muppets Show (included below). We were given short pieces of the song and were instructed to reconstruct the song, adding our own creativity and changes as we went to create a remix. I found Audacity relatively easy to use after taking some time to explore and figure out the interface.  Because it is up to the user to select exactly the piece of the audio to work with (whether cutting, copying, pasting, or layering), this might be difficult for students whose motor skills and musical ear haven't been fully developed. I do believe that it would be especially confusing for young students and would caution teachers of young children before instructing their students to use it.

We also spent some time looking at other forms of technology and thinking about them through the lens of performance. Simple technologies like metronomes and audio recorders (both of which are accessible as apps on cell-phones and iPads) are excellent tools for teachers to use when making practice plans, providing feedback, and assessing student progress. YouTube, a technology commonly used both in and out of the classroom, can also provide an excellent space for students to watch demonstration videos either performed or curated by the instructor. Videos like these help guide students' practice and performance styles and help them practice even when the teacher is unavailable or absent from the practice space.

Though I love the idea of using metronomes, voice (and video) recorders, and YouTube in my classroom, I am more cautious when it comes to programs like MusicFirst, Music Prodigy, and PracticeFirst. While these programs can be useful in logging student practice and progress and can help teachers easily access practice videos and provide feedback, I am wary of the programs that include lesson plans, assessments, and other activities that are not designed by the teacher. I feel that the teacher is always able to provide lesson plans and practice plans better suited to the specific students and learning environment in which they teach. While technology can be an excellent tool and supplement to traditional teaching, I do not think it should be used as a replacement for teacher-based instruction.



Comments